The missteps of NBC, the network with exclusive rights to airing the 2012 London Olympics, has caused an uproar on social media channels. There is ample targets for disconcerted viewers:
- NBC’s decision to delay broadcast of the Opening Ceremonies,
- omitting certain sections of the Opening Ceremony,
- cutting coverage for commercials,
- NBC’s Nightly News announcing the results without providing a spoiler alert,
- slow buffering speeds,
- requiring a cable subscription to stream online,
- and errant color commentary.
Discontented viewers have taken to tagging criticism on social channels with #NBCfail, prominently on Twitter.
Above, a graph of Twitter updates containing “nbcfail” according to Topsy.
According to NBC’s PR department, they have been nailing it.